[pianotech] Problem w/ Shop Lighting

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Oct 14 11:39:04 MDT 2009

Carlos Ralon wrote:
> Hi,
> My new shop is a pole barn 40 x 34 w/ metal sides and roof. Fully
> insulated and conditioned, but with 4 rows of florescent tubes. Plenty
> of light but absolutly very bad radio reception.  An outside FM antenna
> helps a little, but not much and no AM reception. We are in a rural
> area. When the lights are off the radio works fine.  Any suggestions
> about further filtering?

Put your radio elsewhere, and run wires to shop speakers. Get
yourself an iPod. Or generate your own entertainment in your
head. I don't, and won't, have a radio in the shop. I find the
noise distracting and intrusive. The mind numbing repetitive
shop tasks other folks buffer with a radio (or TV) are where I
spend time considering alternative procedures, or designing
jigs and tools. Same with driving.

Ron N