[pianotech] Drilling pinblocks from the bottom

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Oct 14 10:29:36 MDT 2009

Joseph Garrett wrote:
> And your reason for doing so is what???
> Joe

Like David Love, I drill through. He'll have his own reasons,
but mine follow. Chip clearance is simplified when at least
some of them can fall through. Since I drill in the piano, if
the bottom of the block isn't level with the rim top, I don't
have to keep an eye on drilling depth. I can feel it break
through. If I screw up and drive a pin too deep, though I'm
the only one in the world to have ever done so, I can push it
back up from underneath. I don't happen to subscribe to the
*belief* (lacking data either way) that a drilled through
block has a shorter life or produces a less tuning stable piano.

My call,
Ron N