[pianotech] New shop lighting and accessories

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 13 18:30:26 MDT 2009

Barbara -

Flourescent is definitely the way to go for the bulk of your lighting, and as others have said, it is nearly impossible to have too much.  I use a combo of 8 footers and 4 footers. Also, keep in mind that there is quite a choice in flourescent bulbs - from cool, to warm, to 'natural' color rendering.  I use a combo of all, and find it a pleasant environment in which to work.  Using the natural color bulbs is a must if doing any finish work, but it also makes the space more friendly for those long days in the shop.  I have found that adding in other incandescent/halogen bulbs where needed/desired for close work is easier if you are already well-lighted in general with flourescents.

Mark Potter

Anyway, I digress. My question is: What sort of lighting would be best?