[pianotech] tape residue

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Oct 11 17:03:22 MDT 2009

Barbara Richmond wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I was having a look through the archives about removing
> tape goo from keytops and someone made a reference to a
> type of key that might get damaged by a solvent. Would that
> be those old celluloid keys?

Depends on the solvent, doesn't it? I typically use Imperial
Cleaner. It's reminiscent of lighter fluid, and I haven't run
into any keytop that is damaged by the stuff.

> Another question about those celluloid keytops. I have a
> customer with a Baldwin Monarch small upright with
> many--maybe all--chipped keys. She doesn't want to spring
> for new keytops, so I was thinking of just filing and
> making waterfall keys out of them. Will the celluloid file
> OK?

I've seen a lot of them done successfully. I used to hear them
called José Iturbi keyboards, because he allegedly had his
piano done that way to keep the keytop overhang out of his cuffs.
Ron N