[pianotech] Broken Agraffe

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Oct 9 21:47:36 MDT 2009

David Ilvedson wrote:
> I'm sure Pianotek would supply that if your were willing to pay the price...
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA  94044

> From: "Jon Page" <jonpage at comcast.net>
> To: pianotech at ptg.org
> Subject: Re: [pianotech] Broken Agraffe
>

>> It would have been nice if the manufacturer cut a slot in the bottom
>> of the shank.
>> That way a small screw could turn it out (from the late John McDonald, RPT).
>> --
>
>> Regards,
>
>> Jon Page

Being conscientious state of the art rebuilders, possessed of
tools and a compelling need to excel, what's keeping us from
creating our own agraffe replacement Nirvana and cutting our
own slots in these agraffes we buy from supply houses? Yea, I
know that doesn't help with the installed base, but pretty
much nothing does, does it? A couple of carefully aligned
strokes with a hacksaw on the bottom of each agraffe stud, and
should someone some day be faced with a broken agraffe that
you installed, they'll be grateful - if they notice before
they get it out by other means.

I wonder too, what the percentage of installed agraffes that
actually eventually break might actually be. I'd guess
insurance underwriters could insure newly manufactured pianos
against eventual agraffe breakage for $0.37 each and still
make money, if not for the paperwork.

Had the agraffes been slotted thus all along, it would
certainly have been handy a couple of times in 30+ years - if
I'd noticed.
Ron N