[pianotech] Does this frequency response include pianos - bottom to top ?

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Thu Oct 8 16:05:58 MDT 2009

I've often wondered what, and how to figure out, the frequency response, and loudness of various buzzes and other unfortunate sounds, that are sometimes in the pianos, which we techs actually have to deal with. When my father was alive and working, he had to refer me in on such jobs. He could hear the beats for tuning just fine, but those other sounds were a problem for him.

One day he sent me to a lady's house to deal with a buzz he couldn't hear. She was really relieved, when I could hear it too. It took me a long time to discover that it was the paneling on her wall that was buzzing. It went away when we moved the console out into the room!

Diane Hofstetter

A) = 27.5 cps
C8 = 4186 cps
Frequencies in attached xls. courtesy of S. Birkett
--
Regards,
Jon Page

Diane Hofstetter