[pianotech] hammer issue

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 8 09:33:16 MDT 2009

Hello kind folks :)

I am regulating a yamaha G3.  After a first round there was way too much aftertouch and the keystroke/playing felt very hard at the end of play.

Today, to reduce aftertouch a increased the blow distance and re-adjusted knuckle to core alignment.  (so far)

Now on very repeated blows the hammer can not repeat well and if it is played very repeatedly the hammer drops into a very low check and will not play.  If I continue to try to play the not quickly after 8 or so more fast attempts the back check gives way and boom the hammer strikes the string very strongly.  Then back to the poor repitition and the drop into "check".

What is the issue here?

I have double checked simultaneous escapement on a few test notes and am having the same issue there.  No problem with general everyday playing.

Your help is appreciated,

Steven Hopp