[pianotech] Standard Tuning Prices

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Thu Oct 8 08:58:11 MDT 2009

If you volunteer services like this, I recommend that you charge
normally, get paid, and then write your own check back as a
contribution to cover the cost.

Otherwise, when budgets are put together, the piano maintenance cost
is dropped entirely, and if the situation changes, the organization is
not prepared to deal with the unexpected expense.

In addition, you can deduct cash contributions, but rarely
contributions in kind (labor).  But the biggest benefit is making
piano maintenance a visible budget item for the group.  I've worked
for non-profits that had thousands of dollars of in-kind contributions
of printing services by one member who had access to high-capacity
color printers.  When that member left, the group had to struggle to
raise extra funds to cover the gap.

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
Albuquerque, NM