[pianotech] Scheduling

Scott Helms, RPT tuner at helmsmusic.net
Wed Oct 7 20:34:04 MDT 2009

I have been prescheduling all of my customers for the last 2 years, and I
love it. I don't do anything nearly as in-depth as Wim does; I have a
space at the bottom of my (2-part carbonless) receipts that says "Next
Appointment". When I'm done with the tuning, I say, "I recommend you tune
your piano every 6 months. If you like, we can get something on the
calendar now for [April], and when we get there, if it won't work we can
always reschedule." 95% of my customers agree to preschedule. I put the
appointment in my iPAQ calendar, and that's it. I've not done the reminder
cards because I don't want to deal with all the office work in getting
them sent when they should be; I find a phone call is sufficient. I always
call all of my customers 1-2 days before their tuning as a reminder, and
if I get the machine I ask them to call me back and confirm. Yes, some do
reschedule, but at least they're rescheduling, not canceling, right? I
have very few cancellations. They appreciate not having to remember when
it's time to call me, and I have appointments on the calendar even when
the phone isn't ringing much.

Scott
------
Scott A. Helms, Registered Piano Technician
480-818-3871
www.helmsmusic.net