[pianotech] Interesting upright jack

Scott Helms, RPT tuner at helmsmusic.net
Wed Oct 7 19:00:08 MDT 2009

Hi list -

I tuned a 1907 Mason & Hamlin upright recently, and I noticed interesting
components on the jacks and catchers that I hadn't seen before (see
attached photo). There is a brass piece on the backside of each jack which
looks like it might serve as a spring to help the jack return under the
butt. The pic is pretty fuzzy (taken with my cell phone), but I think you
can see that the brass piece is flush against the backside of the jack,
and it's flat except for a small "crook" near the top. This shape is what
makes me think it's a spring. There is also an extra piece on the backside
of the catcher which aligns with the crook in the brass piece, although
(at least in its current poorly regulated state) the jack doesn't go back
far enough for the brass piece to actually contact the back of the
catcher. The piece on the backside of the catcher has a thick, dense felt
similar to backcheck felt.

The jacks also have the standard coil spring under the tender. I know M&H
was pretty inventive and often experimental with many components of their
pianos in the early 20th Century, so I'm not surprised to see something
new, but I'm curious. Has anyone seen these before? Am I right in guessing
that these are an assist spring for speedy jack return? If so, when I
regulate this piano, should the blow distance be set such that, with
proper dip and aftertouch these brass pieces DO contact the backside of
the catcher?

Scott
------
Scott A. Helms, Registered Piano Technician
480-818-3871
www.helmsmusic.net