[pianotech] Tooth crown pinblock

Zeno Wood zeno.wood at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 17:32:14 MDT 2009

I just got back from the dentist where I had my new crown put in.  The whole
process is somewhat like fitting a pinblock.  Two weeks ago he made a mold
of the space and sent away for the crown.  Tonight I went in to have it fit.
 He would put the crown in place with something like a little piece of
carbon paper in between the crown and what remained of my old tooth.  He
removes it, and seeing where it left a mark, he would file away that part of
the new crown, then try again, until the marks are uniform.  Kind of
interesting.  I told him what he was doing was like fitting a pinblock to
the plate flange, and he said, "hmm, if you say so."  I thought you all
would maybe get more a kick out of it.

Regards,
Zeno Wood

ps - I didn't ask about the becket.