[pianotech] Strike Point

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Wed Oct 7 03:12:51 MDT 2009

Hi Folks,

A customer of a customer, also a technician and piano dealer, has caused me
to question just about everything I thought I knew about strike points.  The
one thing that I learned from studying other scales is that there is very
little that is consistent about strike points, even among pianos of the same
make.  Quite often, it doesn't even make much sense from note to note on the
same piano.

I start at 1:8 ratio for Note 1, and 1:15 for Note 88.  Although there is
not much reason for exactly what happens in between, I use 1:8 throughout
the bass, with a straight line decrease from the lowest tenor note to 88.
It doesn't much matter what you call the strike point ratio at Note 88.
It's difficult to acurately measure such a short distance.  Besides, the
optimal strike point will be located by moving the action in and out
slightly, whether you call or 1:15 or 1:17.

There have been discussions on this list suggesting that many pianos could
do better with a shorter strike point ratios in the killer octave, but this
tech suggsets that I could do better with a longer strike point in just the
"middle" octave, around Middle C.  He suggests 1:8 at Middle C, siting model
at that ratio for Middle C that have a "sweeter" sound, less "dark" and
"nasal" that models with a shorter than 1:8 strike point.

I like 1:8 for Note 1 because I think it sounds best.  One reason it sounds
best might be because it discourages the 8th partial.  Especially in the
case of wound strings, the 8th partial is dostorted enough by inharmonicity
that it should be masked by a strike point at one of its nodes.

I plan to assemble a piano without damper action or dag blocks, to allow
temporary changes in strike point for selected notes.  I'm thinking it might
be better to use 1:8 up to Middle C, with a geometric progression to 88,
yeilding slightly shorter strike points in the killer octave.

All comments welcome.
Frank Emerson