[pianotech] Beckets and seeing the wire coming out the other side

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Oct 6 13:05:43 MDT 2009

Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

> Or... in the case of a BUNCH of 243 Baldwins, it allows for
> double-becketing with the tail just handy to rip the flesh from your
> bones if you ever have to restring a unison.
> DAMHIK

I've found a fairly easy out, if you're interested. I cut the
wire, grab it with my chain nose pliers, and pull it up off of
the top pin until I'm down to the becket(s). Then, I grab the
string close to the becket with the pliers and straighten out
the becket bend. With the bend straight, I push wire into the
pin hole until the little becket protrudes enough to grab with
the pliers. Pulling on the little becket then either (usually)
breaks the straightened becket (if it didn't break when
straightened), freeing the wire from the pin, or lets me pull
what was the old coil through the hole and out. Either way, it
beats fighting that little becket and bleeding, and takes very
little time.

Remember how cool it was, and how obvious after the fact when
someone showed you how to make a string splice loop by
grabbing the string end with a Vise-Grip instead of with round
nose pliers from inside the loop? This is one of those.
Ron N