[pianotech] pianotech Digest, Vol 12, Issue 54

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Oct 6 05:57:16 MDT 2009

On 10/5/09, Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft <AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ger, I'm with you. I just can't believe that anyone would argue that badly
> lined up beckets is OK. It's not OK. It shows me a lack of skill and/or
> care. That's what this business is all about. If you can't line up your
> beckets with ease, how can you do a concert tuning, or a fine regulating?
> How can you learn to tune, regulate, restring and not be able to line up the
> beckets? I think a neat job is when all the beckets are within a two hour
> range and that "ain't" hard to do. It just take a little care.
>
> Al

I'm not sure which side of the discussion this is on, but yesterday I
tuned a Steinway 45" console and took note of the (factory) becket
alignment, #coils and pin height.

-Pin height varied from string 1/8" off the plate to showing tuning pin threads.
-Coil numbers were from almost 3 to 4 in the bass and 3.5 to 4.5+ in the treble.
-Becket alignment was at 12 o'clock, plus/minus 180°.

Just my 2¢ FYI.
--
Conrad