[pianotech] Becket Alignment - sub-topic of Tuning pin height

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Mon Oct 5 19:42:50 MDT 2009

OK, let's put it this way, say I want to hire a stringer for my shop.
There are two candidates. One who has mastered the practiced
skill of uniform coils with beckets that occupy a narrow range and
one who doesn't give a crap how the coils look with beckets all over
the map.  Guess who wouldn't be stringing in my shop.

I wouldn't hire anyone who lacked either ability or desire to perform
what is a manufacturing standard. Anyone who has made more than
a few coils has figured out how to get a desired coil. If the light never
comes on, no one's home. Pride in workmanship includes the smallest details.

A disorderly arrangement of coils screams inexperience/disregard/sloppiness.

Like it or not, that's my opinion and I am allowed that,
no matter how much anyone may think it is misguided.
--

Regards,

Jon Page