[pianotech] Becket Alignment - sub-topic of Tuning pin height

William R. Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Mon Oct 5 10:47:37 MDT 2009

Comments below:

William R. Monroe

On Oct 5, 2009, at 10:14 AM, David Skolnik
<davidskolnik at optonline.net> wrote:

> Just for my own aligntenment,  is it assumed that beckets,
> acceptably aligned in initial installation, will remain so through
> subsequent chipping and tunings?

Yes. In my technique I pull strings to initial pitch right away. This
makes it very easy to know the beckets will be aligned when you're all
done.

> What would represent an acceptable range of degree variation for
> those who profess to strive for uniformity?    Is there a preferred
> positioning?

Acceptable to me is beckets at 3 o'clock (that's MY preference but i
dont believe it matters) give or take "15 minutes" either side, with 3
coils  Do I ever exceed that range?  Yup. Do I pull pins, remove
beckets, etc.?  Nope. I strive for aesthetic perfection, but not at
functional cost.

> How do we distinguish number of coils?  Is 1 coil established as
> soon as the active length of wire is tangent to the becket exit hole?

Yes.

> Most importantly, how do I achieve the right balance between
> maintaining becket alignment and tuning requirements?  [your e-con
> here]
>
> David Skolnik  RTT
> Hastings on Hudson, NY

I'm not sure I understand. What tuning requirements?  I string a piano
that is at pitch and tuned with aligned beckets on day one (give or
take  ;-). ).  What would be the compromise?