[pianotech] Tuning pin height

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Oct 5 08:56:06 MDT 2009

I precut the lengths.  Bend the wire in half.  Use a round nose pliers to
put the hitch pin bend to get it fairly sharp.  Put the wire on the hitch
(use a small spring clamp on the hitch if necessary to keep the wire from
popping off, connect through the bridge pins, through the agraffe (if
applicable).  Slip the measuring tubing over the end of the wire.  Grab the
wire with the cutters and pull taut sliding the measuring tubing down to the
reference point in the plate hole (whatever point you choose: center, front,
back).  The tubing allows you to squeeze the wire so that it won't slide
when you let go with the pliers.  Slide the cutters down to the end of
tubing and cut flush.  As you progress down through the scale you will get a
bit more stretch at the longer tenor wire so you can gradually move your
reference point on the tuning pin hole in the plate as you progress down the
scale to compensate.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com