[pianotech] Tuning pin height

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 5 07:35:21 MDT 2009

Once again, I agree with you William.  It is not difficult to tighten
beckets from tapping the coils from the tops, bringing them tight together
at the bottom and lining them up.  It is not difficult to shove the beckets
in BEFORE you tighten up the strings so they are not kinked or rounded.
Like everything, it takes time to learn it but once learned becomes a habit
and is easy.

There is no reason why looks, quality and everything else cannot always go
together other than perhaps a lack of proper planning.  If the job is
forcing one to get it completed to quickly, you're doing something wrong in
my opinion.  Not allowing enough time to complete the work or something
else.  Perhaps it is time to no longer accept those jobs or work strictly on
that one piano only until the job is completed.  It'll be completed quicker.

On the PTG exam's, looks counts too.  Too much glue, to little.  Hammers
lined up?  Hammers the right height in relation to the others around it?
Proper size key bushings used?  Proper height and depth of felt?  To much or
to little glue used?  To many coils around the tuning pins?  Not enough?
Splicing done correctly?  Extra wire not touching nearby strings?  Etc..

Actually, the workmanship that I've seen where the beckets are not lined up,
coils not tight, tuning pins not level etc., also become a sign that hammers
are not properly lined up, spaced, mated or voiced and neither is regulation
always done as it should be.  Like I said before, it's a cop out in my
opinion.