[pianotech] SAY WHAT !!!!

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Sun Oct 4 11:36:55 MDT 2009

There's one major flaw with your clients theory.

There is no magnetic pull from the North Pole. The north pole and the
magnetic north pole are in two different locations!

The magnetic north pole is currently at about 83 deg latitude, near
Ellesmere Island in Canada. It is currently drifting NW.

The difference between the two poles is magnetic variation.  In NY,
the north pole is 15 deg W of the geographic north pole.  In LA, it's
14 deg E, Seattle 22 E, and if you're Wim, it's at 11 deg E. :-)

As luck would have it, in Indiana, the variation ranges from 1 deg E
to 3 deg W so the two pole are pretty closely aligned.

Next time, ask them which pole they want the piano to face - true
north (Santa) or magnetic north (NE Canada)...  :-)

Regards,

Rob McCall
Murrieta, CA