[pianotech] Stringing Tool

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 3 16:23:49 MDT 2009

I'll get a picture of the tool that I use which was Nick Gravange's idea
awhile back. It's nothing more than an L shaped piece of damper wire  which
will fit into the tuning pin hole,  then stand proud about 2's above the
plate, then angle out past the stretcher. The part angling towards the
stretcher is the part which will mark your coil length. Fast and easy and
very friendly to use.
 The advantage of this tool is that you can make the length of your coils to
your own liking. I like to tug rather firmly on the string to get the
unwanted slack out of the string before I make the length cut. Too many
times there's unwanted slack around the hitch pitch pins and contact points
which will ultimately affects the uniformity of cuts.
I have one for the 3 coils where the beckets line up at 1 o'clock. I have
one for 4 coils at 1 o'clock. And I have one which have them lining up at 12
o'clock. Again, whichever look you particularly like, you can cut the length
to your desire.
Tom Servinsky