[pianotech] The End of Piano Making in Britain

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Fri Oct 2 17:42:59 MDT 2009

All your comments are interesting, folks.

Scott, I think your remarks re. the situation in Australia as to how
people get training, are probably how things are going to work out in the
UK for the forseable future.

Mind you, in Australia, you do have Wayne Stuart actually manufacturing
new pianos. In the UK now there is no-one.

I think it quite possible that the Newark-On-Trent course may close. If
numbers are borderline this year and no better next year, college
management will have no compunction about terminating the course.  And
realistically, are there going to be many applicants? The only employment
option will be self-employment, and is that all that attractive to a young
person? To a few, maybe.

The PTG is wonderful.  And I do think the PTA in Britain need a bit of a
change of mindset. But to be fair, the PTA can never be like the PTG
because the conditions in which they operate are rather different. Judging
from comments on the list, people are willing to spend more on their
pianos in the USA than in the UK, and there are more pianos.

I attended a training event last Friday at Steinway in London, presented
by Eric Shandall, and it was WONDERFUL. I enjoyed it so very much. Mr
Shandall is a superb educator.  There were about 20 present. Only 2 from
Scotland; me and Andrew Jamieson, who chairs the PTA's Education
Committee.  Why weren't more tuner/technicians willing to attend this
super event for their Continuing Professional Development?

Regarding Kemble pianos, I was not bemoaning their passing, as an
instrument (and I knew of course they they were Yamahas of sorts). What I
was remarking on was just the demise of the very last of the industry in
Britain. And, considering the quality of the instruments at the end, out
with a whimper, not a bang.

I agree about pianos of 100 years ago compared to what UK pianos had
become.  One of my customers, who lives just past the end of my street,
grew up playing a modern small upright, then inherited a large 100 year
old upright from his granny. We brought it back to A400 and did bits and
bobs of other work, and he just loves it, big sound, lots of power,
responsive. The little modern piano sits unused on the adjacent wall.