[pianotech] Tuning pin height

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Oct 2 09:00:29 MDT 2009

On 10/2/09, Israel Stein <custos3 at comcast.net> wrote:

>> Jer writes:
>>
>>     Looks are as important as anything else.
>>
>>     Otherwise, why line up hammers to look right when replacing them?  Or
>> back
>>
>>     checks?
>>
>> I don't think looks are all that important,(or they would have locked
>> my up years ago), but they do indicate the care taken in a job. A
>> rebuilder that leaves sloppy, uneven, coils will rarely do a more
>> consistant job drilling the block, at least in my experience.  I like
>> beckets to line up because it leaves the tuning hammer in the same
>> position from pin to pin, facilitating tuning. It also indicates a
>> stringers ability to be consistant, which can show up in how the wire
>> curvature is placed from string to string.   There is a  lot of
>> aesthetic effort put in restoration, and an even pin field is one way
>> pride is shown.  A worker that has no pride rarely does the best work.
> I don't believe that Ron Nossaman - who was the first to express the
> opinion here that lined up beckets don't matter - can hardly be accused
> of "rarely doing the best work". And when rebuilding pianos in an
> institutional setting on salary one must always engage in triage, due to
> constraints on time and resources,  pay attention to things that affect
> function and sometimes forget about one's "pride".  And besides, "screw
> polisher" has always been a derisive term in this trade - one who bases
> one's pride on things that look good but matter little, instead of
> obsessing over things that do matter. In his original message Ron
> pointed out flaws in the job that do matter - for example, tuning pin
> drilling angle - which the person who posted the original criticism
> totally overlooked. Obsessing over insignificant details may sometimes
> prevent one from paying attention to significant ones, especially in
> time-sensitive situations. Two-edged sword, Ed.
>>     As far as hammers and backchecks lining up, those are elements in
>> function, and I do think they are important, even if I allow a mm or
>> so alteration in blow distances between hammers to even out action
>> geometry.
> Precisely. Things that matter an awful lot... If  lining up beckets is
> considered on the same level of importance as hammer and backcheck
> alignment - than someone has a rather screwed up value system...
>
> Israel Stein

Funny about this screw polishing coming up, now.  I recently visited
an old customer with a new piano. The piano is a Lester grand, so it's
not NEW new.

The plate was nicely repainted (where, besides on the plate did Lester
put a serial #?), case was pretty nice, coils were pretty consistently
3 and the pin height was mostly even (if high).

I didn't look at becket orientation, as I was more concerned with
trying to get it up from 434Hz. Customer said, when she called, that
some notes "didn't work".

Sure enough, top 4 or 5 didn't have any tone/pitch.  Plate was not
where it should be so I moved the action in as far as it would go to
gain a soupçon of pitch.

On the other end of the stretcher, there was a gap of about a quarter
inch between stretcher and rim.

But it sure looked purty...

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
Luther College, 700 College Dr.,