[pianotech] Broken Tuning Pin

barbara at pitchperfectpianos.com barbara at pitchperfectpianos.com
Thu Oct 1 19:45:02 MDT 2009

Hello list,

I have a small, rural church that has a Kimball Artist Console. They had a piano tuner restring the bass notes some 6 or more years ago with super tight oversized pins. I can barely budge these pins to tune. Anyway, the tuner happened to break off one of the pins during installation and just left it that way, never bothering to come back and service the piano afterwards.

The church has now been a good customer of mine for 4 years. But every time I go to tune the Kimball, the gentleman always asks me if there is anything to be done about the broken pin.

It is broken off too far that a tuning pin extractor will not fit on it, and there is no way a pair of vice grips will grab hold either. I've read that you can drill through the pinblock to fish out the pin from a side angle, but both the church and I are not too keen on the idea.

As you can see from the picture, I've pulled the string over and put a different damper on it so that the string does dampen properly. I'm not really planning on doing the repair as the piano is what it is and the small church is content with it. But mainly, both my customer and I are curious as to if there is anything that can be done at all.  Thanks!

Barbara Nobbe, RPT
Pitch Perfect
859-489-4793
barbara at pitchperfectpianos.com