[pianotech] Avoiding Clients

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Thu Oct 1 06:57:27 MDT 2009

Ryan -
While it may be hard, and probably a bit more complicated seeming, Ed
Foote's formulation seems as to-the-point as one can get.

>>Tell them as much truth as you need to, ie,  you cannot handle the
>>animal smell.  No need to lie.  Just be honest and live your life
>>without falsehood.
>>
>>Ed Foote RPT

The fact that you think she's been through the field already would
seem to suggest that the "gracious" approach simply relocates the
problem.  Your well intentioned "graciosity" generates unintentional
negative karma for someone else.  And, it deprives your client of the
opportunity to respond to or reflect upon some honest
interaction.  There are probably relatively few "bad" people, but
there are plenty of annoying ones.

Here's a suggestion.  Pay attention to other situations that arise,
likely less extreme, that would seem to be eliciting an active
posture, on your part, to establish control: other instances where
you need to ask for quiet, for example.  Note the way you confront
these, and perhaps the inner resources you employ (or fail to) will
help in more seamlessly effecting Ed's advice.

David Skolnik  RPT
Hastings on Hudson, NY