[pianotech] Microsoft Access info

Kerry kerrykean at att.net
Mon May 18 06:00:10 MDT 2009

Hi Will et al,

I worked in software for a number of years, much of it in database
development including Access. I would offer a couple of pieces of advice,
none of which is gospel but rather the perspective of one who's seen
software from both sides (developer and end user).

I can only speak for Access up through the 2003 version (the newer ones may
be easier to use but undoubtedly have their own quirks). If you study a bit
about simple database design and data principles, Access is a great tool,
with emphasis on the simple. Databases with a few relational tables,
appropriate data input screens and reports can be created using the wizards
that come with Access, and will accomplish most of what you will probably
need. Once you start to go past that level, the complexity expands
exponentially and so do the problems you can cause yourself. This is not
said to discourage exploration, just go in with your eyes open.

Two more recommendations:

1.	Always Compact and Repair the database when you close it (on the
database tools menu) to help prevent corruption of the files
2.	Divide your database into a front end (input screens, reports, etc.)
and back end (the data files). This avoids a lot of problems and makes
backing up your data simpler

Dbase format files do import well into Access, but you need to read about
the process because there are little gotchas, mostly concerning datatypes
and field sizes. If you don't get what you want the first time, dig a little
deeper and try again.

I've found database dev on any level to be both frustrating and addictive.
Good luck and have fun.

Kerry Kean

www.ohiopianotuner.com <http://www.ohiopianotuner.com/>

  _____