[pianotech] Fwd: Erwins key dip gauge

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Feb 27 18:21:00 PST 2009

Ric
? Ok, Good points.?I was waiting for the answer but...ok... where & How do YOU measure key dip?
? Hmm?
?Dale

Excellent point Dale. And one grossly overlooked in most action work. Boils down to a few other <<starting points>> we generally don't mess with or try to gain an understanding of. Namely how thick does the back rail felt need to be, what that requires in terms of key height at the front of the key, and how this all positions the key itself relative to the whippen. For eks... does one want the key level at rest or does one want the key to be level at half blow.... and in each case why ? Key travel is really a better concept then key dip IMHO. But then we so often take it as given that the key at rest is in its optimal position or that key height is optimal..... neither of which is necessarily the case. For me... depends on how picky I want to get I suppose... but generally I stick with whats in front of me... level the keys to whats spec if thats available, what looks to put the key level at half blow if specs are not... then as mentioned earlier start with a rough 10 mm dip and proceed as per earlier posts.?
?
I generally do not follow any curvature in string height if thats what you are after..... but I can if its called for and paid for.?
?
Cheers?
RicB?
?
? I'm always surprised nobody asks this, but where are you all?
? measruing max keytravel/dip & how? It makes a difference. I?
? remember Little red school house but I don't want to give it away.?
? Besides not every one measures it the same way.?
? Nice post Andre...Such Passion!?
? Luv it?
? Dale?
?