[pianotech] Fwd: Erwins key dip gauge

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Feb 27 15:05:13 PST 2009

  I'm always surprised nobody asks this, but where are you all measruing max keytravel/dip & how? It makes a difference.  I remember Little red school house but I don't want to give it away. Besides not every one measures it the same way.
  Nice post Andre...Such Passion!
 Luv it
 Dale

Hi Richard, and list,

Richard, thank you for your kind words.

I have always appreciated your frank and open manner. Aside from that, you are an excellent technician.

I would like to explain just a little about the way I make aftertouch because I have the feeling that some here do not understand what I am talking about.

Let me first make clear that it took me one whole week of practice (at Yamaha) to make sure that my 10 mm key dip was a Yamaha 10 mm key dip.

I think that grueling week has made me appreciate a 10 mm key dip. For me that is the absolute basis of a regulation.

What follows (the outcome) depends on the physical abilities of keyboard and action.

A very sharp and refined regulation (what I call a turbo regulation) usually gives a big enough striking distance to ensure raw power, and I always get what I want.

The key dip is therefor my basis, my anchor. If it is good, it is good. I shall not touch it.

The aftertouch I make by indeed raising or lowering (usually the latter) the hammer line, thereby following the string level.

To me, that mens getting the utmost of power and energy.

I have learned it from, am
ong others Takahara-san and it gives me incredible pleasure because it always works and I can always squeeze the last drop of power, followed by a nice tuning.

Voicing all that power is like working with jewels, the crown jewels of the instrument.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek

Antoni van Leeuwenhoekweg 15