[pianotech] Fwd: Erwins key dip gauge

andré oorebeek oorebeek at planet.nl
Fri Feb 27 13:12:05 PST 2009

On Feb 27, 2009, at 6:40 PM, Richard Brekne wrote:

> Hi Ed, Andrè, others.
>
> Its not really true at Yamaha either. One of the first things I
> noticed in my two month long visits to the academy was that to
> achieve satisfying <<correct in their terminology>>  aftertouch one
> needed to float the hammer blow difference. This was something the
> instructors openly admitted and justified by simply saying this is
> how we decide to do things here.  In the course of each 2 month
> session I had to change 8 sets of hammers, regulate, and voice.
> Their spec was an "exact" 10 mm dip, and the resulting variance in
> blow from hammer set to hammer set ranged from 44 mm to 49.  And
> that was just on one piano. (I had the same instrument both times).
> The need to alter the general blow difference reflects the exact
> same kind of needs one finds key to key. It is just simply
> impossible to be so exacting in parts construction and installation
> to not need to float one of the three. Informed choices as to which
> to float, along with precise regulation otherwise is all that is
> needed to achieve a wonderful regulation. Indeed... as far as key
> dip goes... even there pianists preferences differ and we simply
> MUST be able to supply alterations that still fill all requirements
> of a beautifully regulated instrument.
> Like many, I choose aftertouch priority. In my case as taught by L.
> Edwards, Yamaha America. And I choose that very thoughtfully and
> after paying very close attention to the alternatives.
>
> Cheers
> RicB

Hi Richard, and list,

Richard, thank you for your kind words.
I have always appreciated your frank and open manner. Aside from that,
you are an excellent technician.

I would like to explain just a little about the way I make aftertouch
because I have the feeling that some here do not understand what I am
talking about.
Let me first make clear that it took me one whole week of practice (at
Yamaha) to make sure that my 10 mm key dip was a Yamaha 10 mm key dip.
I think that grueling week has made me appreciate a 10 mm key dip. For
me that is the absolute basis of a regulation.
What follows (the outcome) depends on the physical abilities of
keyboard and action.
A very sharp and refined regulation (what I call a turbo regulation)
usually gives a big enough striking distance to ensure raw power, and
I always get what I want.
The key dip is therefor my basis, my anchor. If it is good, it is
good. I shall not touch it.
The aftertouch I make by indeed raising or lowering (usually the
latter) the hammer line, thereby following the string level.
To me, that mens getting the utmost of power and energy.
I have learned it from, among others Takahara-san and it gives me
incredible pleasure because it always works and I can always squeeze
the last drop of power, followed by a nice tuning.
Voicing all that power is like working with jewels, the crown jewels
of the instrument.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek