[pianotech] Additional Information Regarding False Beats

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 27 14:25:16 PST 2009

Hi David

    Ric,

    Are you saying that inserting a brass bushing (what is that?  like a
    pin?) under the string in the middle of the bridge will never cause
    a false beat or that sometimes it never causes a false beat?   That
    replacing a bridge pin on a string that is clean always stays clean
    even if the new pin is smaller and loose?

    David Ilvedson, RPT
    Pacifica, CA  94044

"Never" is a very big word, as is "Always":)  So of course I wont say
this or that either "always" or "never" happens. I do know a fair deal
about the discipline of statistics however and can use it reasonably
well enough to confirm, validate, (or not) claims like the "loose pin
causes false beats" theory.  And after some 50 experiments of various
ways simulating the loose pin condition I find it impossible to confirm
the cause/effect relationship claimed and indeed see more statistical
evidence to reject it then anything else.

To answer your query about the brass bushing. Yes it could be a center
pin (and I have used those as well a few times for this), but really
anything that will raise the string level over the bridge surface
leaving the front half of the string more or less floating in air held
only in place by the front bridge pin. 2 mm height ought to more then be
adequate to ascertain the assumed flag poling effect that is supposed to
cause false beats.  If you do this on say 100 strings, you need to
observe enough positive returns on your hypothesis for it to be
validated.  Under this percent there is a grey area where you can
neither validate or discount it, and at some point you have enough
negative returns to reject the hypothesis. My experiments lean pretty
heavily towards rejection.

You can also take false beating strings and subject them to the same
kinds of experiments and find similar random results.  An annoying (for
the theory) degree of false beating strings actually get cleaned up when
raising them thus or inserting a very loose pin.

I cant see how this points to anything else then that there is very good
grounds for suspecting that something else is primarily at work in the
occurrence of classic false beat. The fact that the addition of CA,
epoxy, various lacquers etc to the wood so often results in a lessening
of falseness does not in itself support the loose pin idea.  It only
shows a connection between the addition of these substances to the wood
of the bridge and the occurrence of false beats. It does not follow from
this fact exactly what the cause/effect relationship is one way or the
other.  Its interesting to note that this same addition of these
substances has essentially the same "cleaning" up effect on strings
where I have purposely also introduced an undersized bridge pin. All
this points me in the direction of looking closer at the role the wood
in the area of the bridge surrounding the bridge pin itself has to play
in all this and away from the idea that it is a flag poling pin that is
at fault.

I know of course this is at odds with the popular notion at present....
but the data  in front of me is just plain to difficult to ignore.

Cheers
RicB