[pianotech] Spontaneous String Breakage

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Feb 27 07:00:16 PST 2009

I service pianos on several cruise ships at the Port of Tampa. The
environment these pianos are in is very stable and I've never seen any
evidence of the "salt air" affecting the pianos. The windows on the ships do
not open - each floor is the size of a football stadium  - and there are
usually about 10 floors - the AC is on 24/7. These pianos don't see any
significant overnight humidity changes at all (except if they go into dry
dock for repairs.....).

I sure don't have any answers for you Phil - sorry. Why they would break at
night rather than while he is playing sure is puzzling. How big are the
ship's mice?

Is this a Carnival ship with a C6? Nice.

Terry Farrell