[pianotech] Additional Information Regarding False Beats

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 27 06:50:22 PST 2009

    I am a frequent reader of this list and it has been a great source
of information in my studies.  Thank you all for generously sharing your
knowledge.

    -Zane Omohundro

Hi
Reading the many opinions on this as so many other piano subject matter
is sometimes almost as entertaining as observing the various opinions
there are relating to Cosmology.  You will find the greatest part of the
"information" available is really opinion and conjecture and there is
some smaller amount of bold faced pure facta.

A recent article in the Journal by Jim Ellis with contributions from Del
Fandrich and a couple others takes the string isolated from the effects
of the soundboard and bridge assembly and shows some interesting
results. John Delecour posted a link to a paper done on the subject
matter some time back. The Five Lectures, tho not directly relevant are
worth looking through as they get into some of the possible ways the
soundboard and bridge assembly can get into the false beat picture.
http://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectures/contents.html

I have done quite a bit of informal experimenting myself on the matter,
tho have not published a formal study (yet) and found that the
observable relationship between loose pins and occurrent classic false
beats is from a statistical point of view is actually quite random. At
the same time the addition of substances such as cellulose lacquer, CA
glue, epoxy and some others to the bridge pin holes has a statistically
significant impact on the reduction of these false beats. Drawing
conclusions as to why this happens is another matter and I maintain
there is no hard evidence to support any of the conclusions usually made
and voiced.

Interestingly, relating to the loose pin argument frequently floating.
You can take 10 very clean sounding strings, replace the bridge pin with
an undersized pin creating a very loose pin situation and find that none
of these same develop false beats.  You can also simulate the stated
condition that supposedly causes the false beat (flag poling pins) by
inserting a 2 mm brass bushing under the string at the center of the
bridge extending back to the distal bridge pin and find no development
of false beats. You can also experience that a false beat IS evident and
either of the alterations above actually eliminate it.... tho this
doesn't seem to happen more then a small percentage of the time.

I don't pretend to have the answers as to why things behave the way they
do.... but my approach to this kind of thing is to directly observe
various isolated conditions to see if the observable results match up
with what those who rely on some understanding of theory claim should
happen.

Cheers
RicB