[pianotech] Additional Information Regarding False Beats

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 06:28:20 PST 2009

And the series of articles that ran in the Fall of 2008, written by Jim
Ellis, Jim Arledge and (I think) Nick Gravagne, are very important
references to consult. Real scientific method, precise measurements, etc.
Much of the other body of knowledge is anecdotal in nature (which is
generally the case in a craft like ours). Parts of that "anecdotal body" are
"a certain Klavierbauer in Germany told me his master told him that ...", "I
seem to recall that Putt Crowl said ...", or "I once did X on a brand Y
piano and it fixed the false beats." Some the anecdotes may be correct some
of the time, etc.A research paper should carefully distinguish between
primary and secondary sources (although your school might be less tough on
you than, say, a thesis or dissertation committee over at nearby University
of Chicago).
Patrick Draine