[pianotech] Spontaneous String Breakage

PJR pryan2 at the-beach.net
Thu Feb 26 17:19:09 PST 2009

After being called three times in a six month period to replace broken
treble strings on a ten year old Yammy C6 piano on a ship,  I chided the
piano player (the only one) of having a heavy hand.  He confided that he
has never broken a string while playing.  They always break at night and
are there when he uses the piano the next day.  It has not been my
experience that strings break "in the night," but I haven't stayed up
that many nights observing them.  Was he jivin' me, or have others had
this experience too?

Phil Ryan
Miami Beach