[pianotech] wax in grand action

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Feb 26 13:59:15 PST 2009

Hi Pam,

The hammers and backcheck(buckskin at least..maybe) and key end felt will
need to be replaced.. Also look at the flanges for excessive wear/wax on
the knuckles, etc.  Careful inspection of action centers should be
manditory...if wax got into the wippen flanges, jack flanges, etc. they'll
have to be re-bushed.  Hopefully you can razorblade most of that stuff
off.  Better than the Kawai model 650 a few years ago that had a candle
display fall over and start a fire...during Easter service!!  It ended up
me replacing the hammers, strings, dampers, and shanks/flanges.  A real
mess...(except for my pay-check, that is <g>)  A real "ring of fire"

Good luck!

Paul

"Pam Bero" <itune4you at hotmail.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
02/26/2009 12:32 PM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

<pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[pianotech] wax in grand action

Just picked up an action from a 1987 Baldwin R which has had a large
pillar candle melted down into the action.  Just looking to find out if
anyone has dealt with anything like this before.  The hammers and
backchecks got the worst of it, but the back of the keys and the felt
under the keys are also affected.
My plan is to scrape as much wax off as possible and see if sanding the
keys will clean them up sufficiently.  It looks to me like the hammers and
backchecks will have to be replaced, but thought I’d see if anyone has any
ideas.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Pam Bero
Appleton, WI