[pianotech] regulation tool : too wide

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Thu Feb 26 03:57:14 PST 2009

>I've tried slipping the tool's shank from the bottom up, in-between
>the let-off dowels, but geesh, there's just no room!

I thinned the shank on a tool so it fits between the dowels.

I wish that the manufacturers would taper the top end of the Let Off
dowel so a stock tool can easily reach the jack set screw.  There is
no need for that mass above the capstan holes. (Roger, how 'bout it)

If I were to install a new set, I'd chuck each one in a drill and taper
with a pencil sharpener, much the same as I sharpen pencils now.
Lacking a sharpener large enough, taper against a disk sander or such.

Minutes at the manufacturing level would save cumulative hours in the field,
it should even save time at the factory.  (Roger... ... ... Roger?)

Regards,

Jon Page