[pianotech] workbench

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Feb 25 03:35:17 PST 2009

I agree with Ron N - doesn't appear very substantial.

The route I went, if you find value in recycling, was to put new life into a most-hated spinet. Start by removing the front panels, action and keybed. Then add keybed arm extensions, bottom-of-case short extensions and a cross piece (I used cheap 2x4s and 2x6s for all these), and roll the piano forward so that the piano back is up. You say you have a table-top already - well, just glue/screw/whatever your top to the back of the piano - and walla! - you have yourself a near-zero cost VERY heavy duty, VERY solid table. If you like, put a shelf on the bottom like I did - it also has a short shelf up higher (see next picture) made from the knee board. AND it's very musical (more musical than when it had keys, no doubt) - every tool slammed on the table has it's own unique sound signature (gets the strings going).

Great conversation piece for shop visitors.....

I love this bench - my long-time favorite.

Terry Farrell