[pianotech] Advice

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Feb 24 10:23:32 PST 2009

> She has in her mind that the felts (i'm assuming the punchings and/or key rebushing) need replacing, because the piano is getting harder to play.

It would seem absolutely impossible to accurately judge matters adequately over the telephone.  You could however get some idea in a phone conversation as to what she meant by "harder to play".  It might mean "heavier" or could mean "loose, rattling and unreliable" or "poor repetition makes it hard to play".  Whatever she says on the phone, you really need to be there for her to demonstrate what she means, and for you to feel for yourself, and show her the various worn felt parts etc.  If she's a good customer, couldn't you do this for free if you're in the area?

I don't think it can be key bushings really. Worn key bushings would not, I think, lead to any phenomenon that a customer would describe as "hard to play".

Best,

David.