[pianotech] Advice

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 09:36:58 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at att.net>wrote:

>   I had a client leave me a voicemail wanting some additional work in the
> future.  She has in her mind that the felts (i'm assuming the punchings
> and/or key rebushing) need replacing, because the piano is getting harder to
> play.  She just wants a quote so she can plan for it.
>
> Now, are there specific questions I need to ask her over the phone to get
> more of an idea?  I can always do the work like she asks, but then, it may
> or may not remedy the problem she is having.  I would rather be certain what
> she is wanting and be confident that the problem will be resolved when I am
> thru.
>
> I already tuned her piano several months back, so I really don't want to
> charge her an additional service call to come out so we can discuss options,
> because she did mention it to me at the tuning appointment.
>
> I would appreciate to know how to best approach this.
> Thanks!
>
> ***TODD PIANO WORKS*
> Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
> (979) 248-9578
> http://www.toddpianoworks.com

Hi Matthew,

Never assume, I once was called to tune a piano for a wedding. When I
arrived at the church the cleaning lady was the only one there and she
didn't know. I assumed it was the one next to the alter. I was called back
to tune the piano in the basement for the wedding RECEPTION! I was only paid
for one tuning

If you didn't make detailed notes of the condition of the piano when you
tuned it and you can't ascertain from the customer what the specific
problem/playing complaints are, you have 2 options.

You can return to her home to do an estimate of what, specifically, the
piano needs. At your discretion you can charge an estimate fee, perhaps with
the understanding that all or a portion of it will apply to the job when you
do it. Secondly you can chalk it up to a learning experience and not charge
for the estimate.

My customary approach with new customers is to charge an estimate fee,
usually my hourly rate, telling them in writing that the fee will apply to
the repairs only, not tuning, up to a 6 month period from the date of the
estimate. This saves you from cost increases in your rates, parts increases
and further wear and tear on the instrument.

I usually am aware of the needs of my current customers pianos since I point
out those needs when I'm there tuning and make notes for myself regarding
them. All of my regular customers and new customers get a free estimate each
time I tune for them.

Early in my career I gave an estimate for a bass bridge repair, she called
me back 7 years later and insisted, since I had written nothing to the
contrary on the estimate that it was still valid.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404