[pianotech] Bass Top Bridge

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 23 18:47:17 PST 2009

BTW, Ron N mentioned to use epoxy impregnated Delignit as a replacement
material. Do you think that omitting the "impregnated" and going with a
standard Delignit piece would be sufficient?

Sure, like Ron replied, it's better to do it, but traditional methods do not include that. I believe he is referring to putting a drop of epoxy on the bridge pin before driving it into the bridge - it's something I always do when driving a new pin into a new bridge/cap.

5 inches long and 3/4 inch wide is not a problem with an epoxy repair. You can also use a clamp to bring the bridge chunks into something-approximating-original-position. Again, it all depends on the condition of the piano. If this is the one-in-a-zillion 100+-year-old piano that is in great shape, then a proper repair is perhaps warranted, but if the piano is like most 100+-year-old-pianos - just epoxy the sad little appendage up and call it a day......

Terry Farrell