[pianotech] Fourths

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 05:24:36 PST 2009

Bob:

I am very interested in this also. You are not alone. I do not
understand all of this, but I am sure I will learn something.

I agree with what you did by determining the twelfth root of the
actual octave interval. I did the same thing in the calculations I
already posted. What I also found was that when calculating a 4:2
octave for the next higher D, it was a different frequency than what
is required by the twelfth root of the next A-A octave ratio. I am not
sure what this means, but I think it may mean that it is necessary to
continually stretch the octaves more and more to stay as close to ET
as possible, which may or may not sound "best."

In step 5 you tuned by ETD and tuned a narrow octave. I may be a bit
of a dinosaur. I don't have an ETD and I don't know what settings you
used to tune this narrower octave. Perhaps you continued with the
twelfth root of the first octave interval? But since the octave was a
narrower type than the one below it, I would expect that the fourths
would not double each octave, but the fifths would at least double.

In step 6 you "Convert cents into beats = Actual frequency at
coincidence * (octave ratio ^ (cents/1200))." I take this to mean you
used the measured octave ratio rather than the number 2. I expect this
would cause an error, since I think your ETD would be measuring
standard cents not ones corrected for the actual octave ratio. The
error may not be significant though.

Step 7 reinforces what I already believe: Any one interval can be
tuned so that the beat rate is the same across the keyboard, but not
two.

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.