[pianotech] Equipment Purchase help

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 20:05:34 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 12:58 PM, David Boyce <David at piano.plus.com> wrote:

>  Another approach might be to suggest tools and materials NOT to waste
> money on!
>
> I'd like to nominate Hammer Shank Bending Pliers, the Angled Spoon Bender
> (intended for beding spoons with the actiona in situ by reaching behind) and
> metal tuning pin sleeve/bushings.
>
> Any others?
>
> David.

One that comes immedietly to mind are the flange shields, these little
things supposedly fit over every other flange(vertical) to prevent the
center pin from working out. The one I have I removed after the center pin
wore THROUGH it because it is aluminum and centerpins, aren't!
A tool to avoid would be the key bushing tightener, used to be called the
key swedge, anyone who has had to rebush a keyset that has been "treated"
with this knows it should be melted down for scrap.
IMHO a cork inserter for bridle straps, a #18 center pin, cut sewing needle
or tack point, head removed, pointy end out CA'd into a predrilled hole in
the end of a hammer shank works great!

 I know there are more but I drove 100 miles and did 5 tunings on 3 pianos
for music contests  plus various emergency repairs and adjustments today and
I'm tired!

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404