[pianotech] Hammer felt etc. [was ...]

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Tue Feb 17 19:22:16 PST 2009

In a message dated 2/17/2009 2:58:51 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
JD at Pianomaker.co.uk writes:

....It  has been suggested
that there is an old way of making hammers with one  felt, which is
good and a 1990s way of making hammers with another felt  that is bad
and that we now have the second coming of the good old way  with the
good old felt.  This is pure  nonsense. ....
Yes, well put, although I think  that's overstating the recent conversation
somewhat. No denying that some felts  are better than others, but hope springs
eternal, and every decade or  so word goes around of a "magic felt". Royal
George, VFG, Wurzen,  American, and Bacon felts have all been touted as superior
at one time or  another. I have my favorites and am open to others, but there
are a number of  good felts on the market, depending on how they are handled
by the maker, the  technician, and the soundboard. They differ in weight,
density, heat, and  pressing, but the good ones, loose or tight, all share one
characteristic: high elasticity. Elasticity is what stores energy in the  hammer
and allows a good voicer to control the time over which  that energy is
released back into the string, with as little loss as possible.  Fibers that have
retained their natural elasticity through the felting process,  and are not
packed too tightly together to move, allow us to keep the losses to  a minimum,
while varying the tone through manipulation of weight and the  distribution of
density. I still remember being amazed at the hammers on an old  Knabe, which
were amazingly soft and spongy, yet produced a big, solid but  varied sound.

Admittedly, the various good  quality felts don't behave exactly the same,
but we are lucky enough to be  able to choose for each piano on the basis of
weight and  density; to have the most control over the infinite tradeoffs  among
action leverage, soundboard response, room acoustics, durability,  client
preference. and our favorite way of working. Because the same set of  hammers will
sound completely different on different pianos, we still need to  know how to
voice. Certainly we can most easily produce the sound we want with  one type
of hammer rather than another, but there's a great deal of overlap for  the
skilled voicer.

Bob  Davis
**************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)