[pianotech] Fourths

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Tue Feb 17 14:07:31 PST 2009

Okay, I did some actual measurements, as well as some better  calculations.
1) The speed of fourths does not double each octave, or anywhere close.
Demonstration below.
2) The 12th root of 2 is indeed 1.059463, but is  irrelevant to our needs,
even in equal temperament.
3) Geometric progressions  are harder to visualize than the simpler
arithmetic ones erroneously used in  some textbooks.
4) Tuning is complex, and an insoluble puzzle. Although the  ear is always
the final arbiter, I care about this hair splitting, because facts  and figures
always show me something else I should be listening to more  carefully, which
will make my tuning sound better. I'm glad it came up.

My own experience had shown that fourths don't speed up like I thought the
theory predicted, but I had long been curious why. After reading and
understanding why, in the math given in Dan Levitan's articles, I decided to  take some
careful real-world measurements as a demonstration, and I see David  Andersen
has offered to tune in person, which will show the same thing. I  consider
myself an aural tuner, although I regularly use, and am facile with,
ETD-assisted tuning. Although I usually use Pocket Reyburn Cyber Tuner, for this
experiment I used my old AccuTuner II, for repeatability, and because I'm faster  at
switching back and forth from calculated tunings to direct interval
measurement, and quicker at altering the stretch to fit the piano (although PRCT  will
do this, too).

To get to the meat first, here are the beat rates I measured, followed by
the methodology. The piano is my own Steinway A-3, so I could take as long as I
wanted, and it's not a bad piano.

Fourth:          Beats per  second @ 4:3
A1-D2           1.2
A3-D4          1.32         (#17  wire)
A#3-D#4       1.19
B3-E4          1.26
C4-F4          1.33
C#4-F#4        1.28
D4-G4           1.15
D#4-G#4      1.22
E4-A4          1.22
F4-A#4        1.13
F#4-B4         1.37
G4-C5           1.45
G#4-C#5      1.25    wire size  changes to 16.5 @ G#4
A4-D5          1.83     wire size changes to 16    @  D5
D5-G5          1.76
E5-A5           0    (yes, 0. Some higher fourths are  narrow.)
F5-A#5         0

These are not calculated, but actually measured. It is apparent that the
rate does not double every octave. In fact, it stays fairly constant, with a
couple of anomalies due to wire size, and perhaps very small measurement errors
in my interpretation of the movement of the lights.

To anybody reading this far, here's the protocol:
1) Tune A=440 Hz

2) Tune A4-A3 AURALLY so that it sounds cleanest. This was between 4:2 and
6:3, slightly closer to 6:3.  I lowered the stretch on the SAT a couple of
tenths, so that it also produced this octave. Interval width was then measured
directly. For instance, a "4:3" A3-A4 octave is measured by  listening where
they are coincident (at A5). On the SAT, it is set to  listen at A5 (in Tune
mode) and we then subtract the measurement of A3  (at A5, its fourth partial)
from that of A4 (also at A5, its second partial). It  showed about 1.1 cents wide
at 2:1, 0.5 cents wide @4:2, and 0.3 cents narrow at  6:3. I think this is
representative of what most aural tuners do. It also  produced an A3-D4 fourth
of 1.32 beats/sec, and a D4-A4 fifth of just under 1/2  beat/sec.

3) Divide the octave into 12 equal pieces. This was done at the 4th partial
for accuracy, but I also checked at the fundamental. A word about that:
Although  the twelfth root of 2 is 1.059463, that is irrelevant, except in
instruments  without inharmonicity. The actual ratio of equally tempered minor 2nds is
the  12th root of the octave ratio. For instance, if A4=440, and A5=881, the
m2nd is  the twelfth root of 881/440, or 2.002272^(1/12). Cents would be
2.002272^(1/1200). This may not seem like much difference, but higher up the  piano
it makes a greater difference. In the top 8ve it might be the twelfth root
of 2.0365. Math geeks please correct me if I'm wrong.

4) Check contiguous thirds F3-A3-C#4-F4-A4 by measurement. I got 13.6  cents,
13.8, 13.6, 13.7. Close enough for me to assume smoothly progressing  thirds.

5) Tune notes of next octave up by ETD. This produced an A4-A5 between 2:1
and 4:2, and an A3-A5 double 8ve about 1/2 beat wide at 4:1. It also  made
D4-D5 just wider than 4:2, and a clean G3-D5 twelfth. A wider 8ve  might have kept
the 4ths moving, but would have made a rough 8ve and double  8ve.

6) Start measuring 4ths. Again by actual measurement: set SAT in tune mode  2
8ves above lower note, read the difference between two notes of 4th @
coincidence. Each 4th was retuned right before measurement. Convert cents into
beats = Actual frequency at coincidence * (octave ratio ^ (cents/1200)).

7) I haven't made the same careful measurement of 5ths yet, but they
progress more normally with this stretch.

8) In the extremes of the scale, these measurements depend some on the rate
of change of inharmonicity (wire size, bridge progression), and the amount  of
stretch chosen by the tuner, but there's really not much place to go in  the
middle, so I think the principles hold, with most reasonable tuning styles.
Because inharmonicity is the cause, and varies from piano to piano, progression
 of fourths will be different from piano to piano. Fourths can even slow
down.

Any comments/corrections?
Bob Davis

**************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.