[pianotech] Equipment Purchase Help

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 17 10:38:55 PST 2009

Steve-

Before you get into rebuilding, hanging hammers and such, get really good at regulating. You can do fine work with a small ruler and an aluminum straight edge (extruded aluminum from the hardware store). A firm, flat workbench with a replaceable masonite top surface is also a good investment that you will need to build skills.
I've had difficult encounters with people demanding I teach them to hang hammers, people who have no understanding of how the hammer and action align to the piano and strings, or how they function.
As you get clear about these things, you will be able to make good decisions. The best tools by Spurlock or WNG won't help if you're not clear on what you're trying to accomplish. A certain amount of initial fumbling can help you understand why a certain tool is valuable.
The most important tool is your mind, and that's where you should invest the first and the most. Deciding to become an RPT is a good way to focus your learning.

(End of sermon.)

Ed Sutton