[pianotech] Equipment Purchase Help

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Tue Feb 17 10:30:39 PST 2009

Steven,

The way to get is experience boring hammers is by, er, boring hammers, no?  You may feel more comfortable tackling one new variable at a time before moving on to the next step, in which case getting your first set pre-bored, tapered and arced by the vendor is a good idea.  For hammer boring, I currently use the one from Renner USA, which works fine.

Like David and Terry, I must own (at least) one of just about everything Bill Spurlock makes.  That said, I have found that I can get an even more precise hammer hanging job by hanging the end hammers and connecting the dots with a straight-edge.  Now mind you, the end hammers are hung according to a home-made jig to determine the hammer hanging angle and the distance between the hammer center and the hammer flange center pin at the ends of each section.  If Bill or anyone capable of comparable quality would make and market such a jig, I would probably buy one.  Until then, by all means, buy his hammer hanging jig.  When you are ready to make the move to processing a raw set of hammers yourself (definitely the way to go, IMHO), you will be ready to start making some simple jigs for your own use.  (Besides, in terms of stationary power tools, you will then have a drill press, some kind of sander and probably some kind of power saw.)

There are lots of pianos out there that need new hammers.  Congratulations on joining in the crusade!

Alan Eder