[pianotech] Wurzen/Weickert felt

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Tue Feb 17 05:28:05 PST 2009

To All,

Another couple of final notes on this thread.... I asked Dale what
kind of hammer weights he was seeing with these Weickert hammers and
he sent me some sample data with hammers fully tapered, bored, and
shaped.  I made a graph of the data which may be seen at:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/RonsenWeickert2009-02-16.pdf

This set is 1/2 to 3/4 medium weight level except for the top octave
which is into the low high zone....    Just wanted to reinforce the
importance of Hammer Weight... it's a voicing component...!

My other comment.... when I was in School at North Bennet St. (1978)
Bill Garlick taught us a technique which is very useful on these cold
pressed hammers as a really safe way of using lacquer for building
drive in the tone.  Tip the stack up on its side and add some lacquer
to the felt just above the tip of the moulding... do one side then
turn it around and do the other... It gives foundation to the tone
without having any deleterious effects on the surface of the felt and
maintains a beautiful ppp quality that is the hallmark of a cold
pressed hammer.  The technique is consistent with the Dolge model of
voicing.

Hope this helps,

David Stanwood

Free software for hammer weight graphing and specifying Available at:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/E-SmartChart2.4.xls

"The art in hammer making has ever been to obtain a solid, firm
foundation, graduating in softness and elasticity toward the top
surface, which latter has to be silky and elastic in order to produce
a mild, soft tone for pianissimo playing, but with sufficient
resistance  back of it to permit the hard blow of fortissimo
playing."  Alfred Dolge

><snip>
>note
>  4.-9.1
>  16-9.0
>  28-8.3
>40- 8.0
>52- 7.5
>64-6.5
>76- 5-7
>  I  check & track  the weights as soon as I open each package. I
>suggest using the light maple with all Weickert sets unless other
>needs for weight are needed.
>   Dale
<snip>