[pianotech] Mason and Hamlin parts?

uniden42 uniden42 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 08:41:16 PST 2009

Dale Probst, Registered Piano Technician suggested that I would be better
served by posting my question to the pianotech list.

My question:

I am just learning about pianos. I recently purchased a Hamlin and Mason
piano Model B manufactured in 1940 per the serial number B50186.  Tracking a
squeaky "sustain" pedal has lead me to the underbelly. The cast iron
assembly (part # s696) supports three rocker arms (part #s s693, s694,
s695).  The movement of rocker arm part # s693  is sloppy and the source
of the squeak. The metal area around the rocker arm and pin shows signs of
cracks and previous repair (including a pin larger than the others). Being
cast iron, I
am told that welding is a very unlikely solution to repair the assembly.  Is
part replacement my next step?  Where can I find parts? Thank you.  Dan