[pianotech] VS profelt on dampers?

Steve Blasyak atuneforyou at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 16:57:59 PST 2009

Hey Now,

Greetings to all, and a happy St. Valentines day to all.

I was wondering has anyone tried this VS Profelt on old damper felt? The
patient is an old Kimball Console action that the damper felt is crusty. I
tried just needling a couple from the top and got noticeable improvement.
It's not that the dampers don't work, or they are any worse than any other
old crappy console. It's that it make a wiry buzzy sort of sound as they
come to rest on the string. There is a noticeable white crusty crud on them
that could be mold. This white stuff is present in other random parts of the
action. This is not green goo like Verdigris, it's white powdery stuff
growing on the action. Or so it seems.

So anyway I stuck my voicing needles in a few just to see if I could improve
the damping noise. I talked the customer into letting me take the action
home. At the time I was thinking blow it out clean all the white stuff off
do some steam and needling. I got the brain storm (idea) what about this
Profelt stuff?

Anyone ever tried it on damper felt?

Steve Blasyak
Orange County CA Chapter