[pianotech] WNG Backchecks

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Feb 14 16:52:38 PST 2009

Gene Nelson wrote:
> Thanks Will,
> I am trying to make a hammer set work that I have had for several years.
> Did not realize they would be going onto this piano when I bought them
> nor did I know about WNG parts at the time.
> Whenever I have ordered Isaacs in the past, they are always
> uncut/undrilled etc. To order them precut/predrilled etc would only
> shorten what I thought was his standard grand hammer set. So I am a bit
> suprised that I have run into this.
> Feel like I asked a dumb question.
> Gene

Ah! Now I understand. Not a dumb question at all. You just
tried to quite reasonably use what you already had in what
might just as easily have been an ideal match - but NOOOOOOOO!
Murphy was demonstrably an optimist, as you've just
demonstrated. I've long ago lost count of mine. Missed it by
*that* much...

Re recovery, if it's only a few in the top bass, you can
either just do it and see how it works, or do some creative
(but not that difficult) woodwork and add extensions. Should
you "just do it", and find problems, the extension can always
be added after the fact and reshaped. High road, low road?
Flip a coin. Either way, it's recoverable.

Tail on!
Ron N