[pianotech] Weickert special felt update

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sat Feb 14 15:23:56 PST 2009

Hi David:

I'll throw in my two cents, since Dale has given me the nudge, nudge.

Let me start by stating my protocol.  I have worked for a very long time
with harder pressed hammers, such as the Renner Blues and many of the Abels,
and feel that I have developed my needling skills to a fair degree of
expertise.  It is something that I have worked hard at for many years to
master to the best of my ability.  So my past preferences have been towards
those kinds of hammers.  Most recently, the Abel Naturals had become my
preferred hammer for tonal reasons and workability.

Dale asked me to be one of his crash test dummies for these new hammers and
I looked forward to the opportunity, putting them on a 1911 Mason & Hamlin A
with a new board.

It is always my protocol with a new set of hammers to pick a few samples and
poke them with a needle and see what happens.   If it gets worse, I stop and
seek other alternatives; if it gets better I keep playing with my needles to
hear where they want to go.  It is my experience that  almost every hammer
will be improved by needling, and I prefer to get as much as I can by
needling before I reach for the dope bottle.  Of course, you will need to be
assured that enough felt has been removed by filing to get away from soft
outer felt.  When I know a hammer make, I typically gang pre-file in a jig
before boring and hanging.  And I usually pre-voice the hammers by needling
in the jig also.  This set of Weikert hammers being the first, I waited
until the hammers were hung to file and needle after listening.

The outer felt is pretty soft and there is a lot of it.  So expect to do a
healthy filing to get to the harder felt.  I think these hammers would be
improved if the hammer maker did most of this pre-filing, and then leaves
the rest to each of us to season to taste.

My experience with deep needling was positive.  I started out in the bass
and middle part of the piano with 6 sets of three, staggered and done from
9:15 to 11:30.  I was able to use a voicing tool with three needles, which
is nice.  The felt is soft enough to allow that, but with a wonderful
springiness that you can feel with the needle.  The sound really opened up a
fair amount, with a significant pickup in sustain and the hammers got
brighter.  The sound gained more body, and a creamy blend of the harmonics
started to develop.  I really liked the sound I was getting.  And it is that
wonderful cold pressed sound that we used to be able to get with the old
hammers.

I have experienced some "rebounding", where some of the hammers get too
bright and need to be voiced down a bit.  But it is not that endless
rebounding you sometimes get with the Blues.  I would like to have a bit
more "punch" to the sound, so I have doped the lower shoulders to put that
fist in the glove.  The high treble and the bass are still too soft in the
iteration that I have, and will need some further doping on the crown
likely.  I have also polished the felt with papers up to 400 grit so far,
and may go up to 1200 or more in the bass and tenor.

I believe these hammers have wonderful potential.  Dale and Ray see these as
a work in progress and are steadily moving forward in refining them.  I
think they are a wonderful addition to our hammer selections, and I favor
their sound over the Renners or the Abels at this point.

For those of you who have not worked a set of these yet, I would say that
there is a learning curve that comes in with them  as they are different
enough from what we are used to.  Particularly with your first set, you are
really going to need to pay attention and listen a lot as you go.  But, once
you establish a protocol, I don't think you'll find them difficult to work
with, and the results will be worth your efforts.

Let me close by saying that each of us develops methodologies in voicing
over a period of time.  We find what gives us the best results for what our
ear wants to hear.  Dale has worked these hammers differently than I have.
But I have heard Dale's work, and he gets wonderful results.  So Vive La
Difference.

I hope you find my contribution useful.

Will Truitt